Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | School Notes | Contact Us | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

Recall: Is My Pet Safe?

April 4, 2007 - Amy Jo Hanna-Eckenrode

Sadly, the pet food recall crisis continues. Many pet owners, like myself, who had felt some level of comfort that their pets had not been exposed to any of the brands in question may now be feeling a bit less confident. We helplessly watch as the identity of more affected brands of foods and treats are added to the list.  

While I'm still not ready to panic, I now find myself a little more hesitant each time I fill Jesse and Mazey's food bowls. Because I know I'm not alone, I wanted to share this helpful Q & A from the ASPCA website

aspca pet food recall

 Q. What advice does the ASPCA have for pet parents?

 A. The best thing that pet parents can do right now is: 

If you have not already done so, examine your pet’s food products and if they fall into the categories identified as contaminated or most recently recalled, discontinue use of that food immediately. For a complete list of affected brands and product codes, please visit the following websites:

- Menu Foods (several foods listed)
Del Monte Pet Products (several foods listed)
Purina (ALPO® Prime Cuts in Gravy only)
Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. (Prescription Diet™ m/d™ Feline Dry Food only)
- Based on the current body of information available, the ASPCA does not recommend any change in treatment of animals affected; animals currently being treated for kidney failure suspected to be related to the ingestion of the contaminated food should stay on such treatment, including aggressive fluid therapy. Please follow your veterinarian’s advice.

- The
American Veterinary Medical Association has some excellent advice and information on its website for both pet parents and veterinarians.

- If your pet shows any signs of illness, including loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in water consumption or changes in urination, please consult your veterinarian immediately. If you are unable to reach your veterinarian and suspect your pet is gravely ill, you may call the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 for emergency advice (a $55 fee applies).

- To report adverse actions or other problems to the FDA, pet parents
contact the FDA complaint coordinator in their state.

I am looking for: