Consort preps new season
BEDFORD - The Pennsylvania Consort has announced its program of performances for the 2010-2011 Guest Artist Series concert season. All performances will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will be held in the Bedford United Methodist Church.
* On Sept. 25, tenor Daniel Weeks, pianist Naomi Oliphant and French horn player Bruce Heim will present a program including works by Schubert, Strauss, Beethoven and Britten, among others. These three musicians are faculty colleagues at the University of Louisville and are frequent collaborators.
* On Oct. 23, the Pittsburgh-based Boilermaker Jazz Band, led by clarinetist Paul Cosentino will perform jazz and swing music.
* On Nov. 13, Mainstreet Brass will perform. This energetic brass ensemble is the guest quintet at the Central Moravian Church in Bethlehem and has performed throughout the U.S. and in the United Kingdom.
* On March 18, 2011, the Juniata College Concert Choir will perform. The premier off-campus choral ensemble at Juniata, Concert Choir sings historical sacred music and has performed internationally.
* The Lyric Consort, a top singing group, will present a concert on April 9, 2011. Formed in 1993, the eight person a cappella group has performed throughout the Northeast.
* On May 14, 2011, The Raim-Wehr Duo (four hands on one piano) will end the season. Cynthia Raim and David Allen Wehr have played as a duo since 1996 and have toured throughout the United States.
Season tickets cost $40 for adults and $18 for students. Subscription checks, payable to The Pennsylvania Consort, should be sent to: PA Consort, P.O. Box 535, Bedford, PA 15522. Please include a return mailing address. For more information, call Nancy MacRae at 733-2301 or e-mail the Consort at paconsort@ artsinbdfordpa.org.
Single concert tickets are $7 in advance and $8 at the door, with student tickets half price.
Comic Cook heads to BJC
UNIVERSITY PARK - Stand-up comic and actor Dane Cook will bring his latest comedy tour to the Bryce Jordan Center at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 3.
Tickets are $34.75 and $69.75, with a limited number of VIP tickets available. Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. today and can be purchased at the Bryce Jordan Center, Eisenhower Auditorium, Penn State Downtown Theatre, Altoona Campus Ticket Outlet, online at www.bjc.psu.edu or by calling 865-5555.
ACT auditions for Simon play
Altoona Community Theatre will hold auditions for the Neil Simon comedy/drama "Broadway Bound" at 7 p.m. Sunday and Monday in the Barbara Titelman Spessard Rehearsal Hall of the ACT Workshop, 1213 12th St.
The cast requires four males and two females. Auditions will consist of readings from the script. Perusal copies are available in the ACT office. All roles are available and no prior experience with ACT is necessary.
Rehearsals will begin the last week of September, with performances scheduled the weekend before Thanksgiving.
For more information, call 943-4357 or visit www. altoonacommunitytheatre. com.
Rapper's show postponed
UNIVERSITY PARK - The T.I. concert scheduled for Sept. 24 at the Bryce Jordan Center has been postponed. T.I.'s management is hoping to re-schedule this concert at a later date.
All ticket holders can get refunds for their tickets at the point of purchase. Credit cards will automatically be refunded.
Tickets that were purchased with a Lion Cash card, cash or check will be refunded at the Bryce Jordan Ticket Office only.
Celtic group to perform
PITTSBURGH - Celtic Thunder, a group of six Irish and Scottish male vocalists backed by an orchestra, will perform at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 29 at the Benedum Center.
Tickets range in price from $32.25 to $72.25. Tickets may be purchased at the Box Office at Theater Square, online at www.pgharts.org, or by calling 412-456-6666.