The American Red Cross, Greater Alleghenies Blood Services Region, is partnering with Penn State Sports on a season-long Bleed Blue Donor of the Game promotion to increase blood donations among Nittany Lion faithful.
"We want to tap Penn State pride across our 100-county service area," said John Hagins, CEO, Greater Alleghenies Region. "Our blood donation program at Penn State is a model for campus-based blood donation programs. We believe that our Bleed Blue promotion will excite Nittany Lion fans everywhere and help increase blood supplies for patient care."
"Every two seconds, someone in our country needs a blood transfusion," he noted. "These needs continue day and night, every day of the year."
All presenting blood donors participating Bleed Blue blood drives will be automatically entered to win a "Donor of the Game" package for each Penn State home game this season (Sept. 18, Sept. 25, Oct. 9, Oct. 30, Nov. 6 and Nov. 27):
* Two tickets to the Penn State football game. n Two pre-game hospitality passes.
* Two Penn State T-shirts. n A sideline visit during the game; participants must be age 16 or older.
* Radio recognition during the Pre-Game Show portion of the statewide game broadcast.
* Beaver Stadium video board recognition.
* After the game, the Donor of the Game photo will be posted on the Penn State Athletics web site, www.GoPSUsports.com.
All presenting donors at Bleed Blue blood drives through early December will be entered to win the grand prize, a 2010 Penn State Bowl Game Package:
* One winner will receive four 2010 Penn State bowl game tickets, plus airfare and hotel accommodations.
* Participants must be at least 18 years old for the bowl game package drawing.
The Mirror will host a Bleed Blue blood drive from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 28. To schedule an appointment, call Brenda Carberry at 946-7459.
More area blood drives are listed at www.americanredcross.org\bleedblue.
For donor eligibility information, call 800-RED-CROSS.