Readers are encouraged to send or deliver old local photographs of general interest for use in Yesteryear. Information about people and places should be included. Photos must be 30 years old or older and should be sent to Yesteryear, Altoona Mirror, P.O. Box 2008, Altoona, PA 16603, or delivered to the Editorial Department.
Bishop Richard T. Guilfoyle, bishop of the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese, blesses the cornerstone of the new St. Mary’s Hall, a gym, auditorium and cafeteria complex on Fourth Avenue, Altoona, on Dec. 12, 1948. Also shown are (from left): John E. Moyer (contractor), Father J. Donald Wagner (pastor), Father James Feehley and Father Thomas Madden (chancellor of the diocese). The photo was submitted by Father James Coveney of Hollidaysburg.